Auto Accident FAQ

  1. What can I receive compensation for?

    When you file a car accident claim, you may be entitled to compensation for:

    • Medical Bills and Treatments
      The costs of doctor’s visits, diagnostic tests, and hospital stays can add up fast. A strong claim factors in these expenses and any future medical costs you may face as a result of your injuries.
    • Lost Wages
      Severe injuries take time to heal, and permanent injuries can keep you from doing the job you used to do. Wage loss claims may include time you’ve already missed from work and future lost earnings.
    • Physical Impairment, Scarring, and Disfigurement
      If your injuries keep you from engaging in or enjoying activities that you were able to do before the accident, you may be able to file an impairment claim. You may also file a claim if your accident caused injuries resulting in scarring or disfigurement.
    • Pain and Suffering
      Injuries are often accompanied by physical pain, depression, and enjoying your normal life activities. The law allows you to receive appropriate damages for these losses

    Every car accident claim is different. At the Law Office of Scott P. Callahan, P.C., we’ll evaluate every aspect of your case and do everything in our power to get you the justice you deserve.

  2. What should I do after my car accident?

    Your actions in the days and weeks following your car accident are important. Following these steps can help protect your rights:

    • Get necessary medical treatment.
    • Collect witness names and contact information.
    • Take pictures of the crash scene, damage to your vehicle, and your injuries.
    • Beware of insurance company tactics.
  3. I feel fine. Should I see a doctor?

    Yes. It can take days or weeks for painful injuries to develop after a car accident. Seeing a doctor prevents any injuries you have from getting worse and serves as evidence linking your injuries to the accident.

  4. How long should I wait to file a claim after my accident?

    Don’t wait. In Texas, you generally have two years from the date of your car accident to file a lawsuit. However, there can be other deadlines that must be met much sooner to preserve your legal claim. Preparing a strong claim can take time, and getting legal representation as soon as possible can help protect your rights.

    If you’ve been injured in a car accident, the Law Office of Scott P. Callahan can help. We’ll fight hard to get the money you need for your injury-related expenses, even if it means taking the insurance company to court. Speak with a board-certified personal injury trial lawyer today for a free case evaluation—just call (713) 888-9000 or complete our free online form.

  5. Do I need a lawyer to handle my auto accident case?

    No. But without a skilled attorney, you may not get the full amount of compensation you deserve for your injuries. An attorney can help:

    • Protect you from insurance company tactics
    • Investigate who was responsible for your accident
    • File complex legal documents on time
    • Take your case to court if the insurance company refuses to offer a fair settlement

    You deserve help from an attorney who knows Texas car accident law. Let the Law Office of Scott P. Callahan handle your claim, so you can focus on getting better.